Nestled along Florida Read more [...]
Place Category: Beach Towns
Ponte Vedra is a member of the Jacksonville Community of Beaches. These are beaches that have close proximity to the city of Jacksonville, Florida. Ponte Vedra Beach is about 18 miles away from the city and it is widely known for the number of upscale resorts in the area including popular golfing clubs including some that are home to The Players Championship and PGA Tour.
The history of Ponte Vedra Beach is as rich as the tourism industry that it enjoys today. Along with the historic district of St. Augustine, this beach is the only known place to be documented during the discovery of Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon. It is, however, in the 1910-1920s when there was an influx of residents who chose to stay in the area due to the discovery of minerals. Back then the area was known as Mineral City and later changed to Ponte Vedra Beach.
Due to its amazing natural waterways and landscape, there are many upscale residences in the Ponte Vedra Beach area. Numerous popular names from politics and sports have previously or currently live in the area.
Attractions At Ponte Vedra Beach
• Go Golfing – The beach is home to popular golfing tournaments that drove thousands of tourists on a yearly basis. In total, Ponte Vedra Beach has at least 7 golf courses. Here you can experience relaxing sea winds and beautiful greens.
• Check the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve – Also popularly known as GTM, this marine and ecosystem reserve is teeming with life and adventure. It offers an interconnected habitat for plants and animals to thrive. GTM has more than 200,000 annual visitors who are excited to know more about this unique ecosystem. The Research Reserve allows specific areas for various functions and events. You can also hike or bike along its special trails and enjoy the Florida sun with family and friends.
• Check out Mickler’s Landing Beach – Located just south of Jacksonville Beach, this is a nice area to take your family and friends. It offers a huge parking area and other amenities.
• Bird Island Park – For some peace and quiet, go to “Ponte Vedra’s Hidden Gem” the Bird Island Park. It is a great place where you can enjoy short walks and lazy time with your family. It is just right behind the town library where ponds and marsh areas attract many birds.
• Try Water Sports – Check out the numerous rental stores where you can get a complete gear of your choice of water sports. From surfing, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding, fishing, and you can even rent a whole boat for an ultimate adventure.
• Check out the Resorts – Your time at Ponte Vedra Beach will not be complete without checking the world-class beach resorts that dot the area. Enjoy upscale dining and spa experience from these resorts.
How To Get There
Due to its close proximity to Jacksonville, Florida, you can easily drive from there to Ponte Vedra Beach. Jacksonville International Airport offers numerous daily flights from most major airports in the United States. If you are driving to Jacksonville, from the north, drive to 1-95 South and exit at State Road 9-A to Jacksonville. If you are driving from the south towards Jacksonville, take I-95 and exit at Heckscher Drive, pass Jacksonville Zoo.
Once you reach the downtown area of Jacksonville, Ponte Vedra Beach is about 30 minutes away. Take the Mathews Bridge down to Arlington Expressway driving east until you reach A1A, turn left towards Ponte Vedra Beach.