One of the best stops Read more [...]
Place Category: Beach Towns
Indian Harbour Beach is a small city located just south of Satellite Beach in Florida. It is part of Brevard County and considered a young town compared to other areas within its vicinity. According to records, John H. Neafie, W.Lansing Gleason, and Louis S. Henry founded the city on June 6, 1955. The small city has come a long way since it started and even winning as the top 3 places to live in Florida in 2013.
For many travelers, Indian Harbour Beach is an excellent destination if you are looking for some peace and quiet. It is near the popular Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral area. For travelers who wish to avoid the usual beach crowd, a little more drive down south will provide you with pristine waters and glorious golden sand minus the people.
The National Weather Service has awarded Indian Harbour Beach as the first city in Florida to be “tsunami-ready”.
Attractions in Indian Harbour Beach
• Gleason Park – Gleason Park is one of the parks in the city that offers beautiful scenery, clean surroundings, and various activities for families. The park offers walking and biking trails, playgrounds, nice little ponds with turtles, a recreation center, and a pool. If you are looking for a relaxing break from your trip, this park is a great destination.
• Explore the Beautiful Beach – Indian Harbour Beach offers numerous access areas for the beach. Here, the golden sand will want you to enjoy a dip into the Atlantic Ocean. The beach is not crowded and most of the time it offers beautiful curling waves making it a perfect place to try your water sports. There are also various beachfront parks like Bicentennial Park which offers amenities for swimmers and beachgoers.
• Try water sports – If you are in the mood to try water sports, this city has plenty to offer. You can rent a surfing board or a whole boat to complete your vacation. Try deep sea fishing with your family or friends, or simply crash with the waves.
• Try a River Tour – To the west of the city is the mighty Indian River. Enjoy a cruise up and down the river as you join special trips. The Indian River is an important waterway system in the area. It is home to some unique flora and fauna which supports the Florida ecosystem.
• Dive into the Ocean – The Atlantic Ocean in this part of the state offers beautiful diving spots for underwater enthusiasts. Some areas in the city are home to the threatened Atlantic loggerhead turtles that nest on the city’s beaches. There are also green sea turtles that nest in the area.
How To Get There
Indian Harbour Beach is located just south of Satellite Beach. Florida A1A runs close to the ocean and will lead you straight south or north of the state. If you are traveling from Melbourne, Florida, you can simply cross the Eau Gallie Causeway to arrive right at the heart of Indian Harbour Beach. The nearest airport the city is Orlando – Melbourne International Airport.