Amelia Island offers Read more [...]
Place Category: Beach Towns
Fernandina Beach is located right at the tip of Northeast Florida. It occupies the northern part of Amelia Island which is part of the Nassau County. This beach city is rich in history and thousands of people flock to this water paradise every year to enjoy the waters, adventure and learn more about this unique municipality.
Fernandina Beach is home to the famous Isle of the Eight Flags. In fact, it is the only known town in the United States to have eight countries’ flags flown over it, including Great Britain, Spain, France, Patriots of Amelia Island, Mexico, Green Cross of Florida, Spain (2nd flag), the Confederate States of the United States, and finally, the United States.
The beach is at least 13 miles long with soft golden sand and clear waters. Amelia Island itself is abundant in wildlife making it a magnet for nature lovers. Families and friends will love the unique charm that Fernandina Beach has to offer.
Attractions in Fernandina Beach, Florida
There is no shortage of adventure, sights, and activities on this beach. Since it is part of the greater Jacksonville area, it receives numerous visitors and has a thriving tourism industry. Thanks to its centuries-old history, it is also the home of many historical buildings.
• Join the Famous Isle of Eight Flags Shrimp Festival – Schedule your trip to join one of the most popular event that annually happens in the city. The Shrimp Festival has been celebrated in Fernandina Beach since 1964. This amazing events offers some of the best shrimps in the world prepared in every imaginable way possible.
• Visit Fort Clinch State Park – The park offers visitors miles of pristine white sand beach, a fishing pier that is at least half-mile-long, a huge Civil War-era fort, at least 62 camping sites for tents or RV, and interesting hiking and biking trails. It is a great place for picnics and relaxation with your family.
• Visit the Maritime Museum of Amelia Island – You can easily access this museum as it is located in downtown Fernandina Beach. The museum offers guided tours for the exhibits featuring military-maritime history on the island. You will be able to see items that dates as far back as the 1500s, as well as, treasures that where recovered from sunken ships near the area.
• The Amelia Island Museum of History – Due to its rich history it is not surprising that the city has dedicated a museum to preserve the items and artifacts from the past. Featuring ancient items and fascinating stories starting from the Timucua Native Americans who first inhabit the area to when French and Spanish explorers arrived in Amelia Island.
• Stroll Along the Fernandina Beach Main Street – Main Street in Fernandina Beach is created by the local government to encourage economic development and at the same time sustain the historical buildings and other structures. See numerous shops, boutiques, and restaurants lined along the street.
• Try Boat Tours and other Water Sports – There are numerous shops that offers fun water adventures including chartered boats for sports fishing, kayaking, jet skiing, river cruises, sailboats, airboats, or you can even rent your own yacht for an ultimate adventure.
• Eco and Nature Tours – Amelia Island is rich in natural wildlife, try eco or nature tours to feel the real wild that Florida has to offer.
How To Get There
There are numerous ways to get to Fernandina Beach. By air, you may choose flights going to Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport or the nearby Jacksonville International Airport. By land, if you are driving from the south, take A1A north to J.Turner Butler Blvd, north on 115 crossing the Dames Point Bridge and continue on A1A towards Big and Little Talbot Island and finally to Amelia Island.