Butler Beach is a sma Read more [...]
Place Category: Beach Towns
Crescent Beach is a small community located in the southern part of Anastasia Island. This is one of the barrier islands next to the historic St. Augustine. Compared to other towns in the island, this community is smaller. Still, there are plenty of activities and adventure that await for tourists and residents in Crescent Beach.
This beach is very near the city of St.Augustine, also known as the oldest continuously occupied European settlement in mainland United States. The Spanish explorer Pedro Menendez de Aviles built the first settlement in the area in the bid to claim Florida for Spain in 1565. He strategically picked the area where present-day St. Augustine is located because it is strategically located behind two barrier islands, including Anastasia Island.
Due to the location of Crescent Beach, which is on the southern tip of Anastacia Island, you will be able to find the famous Fort Matanzas National Monument within the area. Although there is little commercial development in the area, except when you check out resorts, there are still fun activities to discover and enjoy.
Attractions in Crescent Beach Florida
• Check out the Beach – If you want to stay away from crowded beaches like that of St. Augustine Beach and Butler Beach, drive further south to Crescent Beach. Because it is a relatively small community you may be able to enjoy deserted beaches all to yourself. There are showers, picnic tables, pavilions, and restrooms. In some specific months, you may be allowed to park your car right on the beach. For other days, there are areas where you can access the public beach such as on the side of Spyglass Condominiums.
• Fort Matanzas Overlook Trail – To enjoy the beautiful scenery and a lovely view of the Spanish Fort, check out the overlook trail. You can also enjoy small picnics in the area as there are designated picnic tables.
• Visit the Fort Matanzas National Monument – Further down the road is the National Park Services where you can access the centuries-old fort. Across the river Matanzas, this fort played a crucial role in the security of St. Augustine city during the European settlement. It protected the south approach of the Matanzas River, right off the Matanzas Inlet. Fort Matanzas was constructed using coquina, a shell stone that is commonly found in the area.
• Try Horseback Riding along the Beach – Crescent Beach offers hard-pack sand, this makes it an exceptional trail for horseback riding! Special permits are needed. Check out the visitors center to try out this amazing experience.
• Experience Water Sports – Whether for surfing, kayaking, boating, paddle boarding, or kite surfing there are local shops where you can get a lesson or rent a gear. Enjoy the amazing waves that only the Atlantic Ocean has to offer.
How To Get There
You can easily drive into the historic city of St. Augustine, Florida. If you are coming from the north or south, drive on I-95 and exit on 311. If you are driving from the west, take I-10, and drive south or north on I-95 towards St. Augustine.
Crescent Beach is on the southern part of Anastacia Island, about 30 minutes from the downtown St. Augustine. Drive southeast on San Marco Ave. and cross the Matanzas River either via the Bridge of Lions or the bigger bridge a little further south. This will lead you to the popular Florida A1A you can drive to southwards to Crescent Beach.