Apalachicola is a cha Read more [...]
Place Category: Beach Towns
Carrabelle is a small town located along Florida’s Panhandle. The town features a unique and peaceful charm, as well as, an amazing landscape that is comparable to the Florida Keys or even Cape Coral. One of the best places to discover if you want to experience the best of Florida’s charms without the huge crowds.
The city is located right along the Carrabelle River, just east of Apalachicola. The city’s port serves as a safe haven for various boats and vessels that travels the Gulf of Mexico. If you love traveling to a fun destination with exotic white sand, unlimited adventure, nice shopping boutiques, and excellent food, this city is the best place to be.
Just like most of the cities and towns in Florida, Carrabelle was one of the first places to be occupied by European colonizers. The city was charted in 1893 by the Florida Legislature. Today the town is a favorite among tourists who want to experience the calm waters of the Gulf without having to worry about traffic jams and influx of people.
Attractions and Activities in Carrabelle
- Crooked River Lighthouse – This light was built in 1895 made to replace the light in Dog Island which has been destroyed by a huge hurricane in 1875. Its location in the mainland allows it to serve the area for Dog Island’s west channel. There are several buildings built near the light itself which serves as the light station and a museum. On certain days, the tower is open and interested tourists will have the opportunity to climb and see the most amazing view of the Gulf of Mexico and Dog Island.
- World’s Smallest Police Station – The “World’s Smallest Police Station’ can be easily seen on Ave A North in Carrabelle. The small phone booth became a police station in March of 1963 when the police force was receiving illegal long distance calls. To solve the problem, it was decided that a police station will be assigned right inside the booth. Today, it has become a popular destination that many tourists check out.
- Carrabelle Beach – If you love the water, then you should definitely head out to this small stretch of beach. It is a great place to unwind, enjoy fresh air, and rest up. The beach features several amenities like restrooms, picnic tables, and outdoor showers.
- Museums – There are several museums in the area that features several exhibits from Military to History. If you love to know more about the area, these museums will be totally worth the stop. Check out Camp Gordon Johnston Museum and Carrabelle History Museum.
- Tate’s Hell State Forest – For some nature stop, head out to this state forest. Located about 4 miles away from the main road, this nice and quiet state park features the best that nature has to offer on this side of the state. There are boardwalks, nice forest cover, and picnic areas where you can enjoy.
The nearest domestic airport which serves several domestic flights daily is located in Tallahassee, Florida which is about 1-hour drive. If you are traveling by car, the best way to get to Carrabelle is by going through Tallahassee through FL-61/Crawfordville Rd and US-319 to the heart of Carrabelle.