Just an hour drive ea Read more [...]
Place Category: Beach Towns
Located in Brevard County, Florida, is the popular and iconic city of Cape Canaveral. It is home to world-famous Kennedy Space Center, where many American astronauts are launched for space flights. There are plenty of things to learn and discover as you visit this city. Aside from the famous landmark, there are also several places that tourists will love to visit.
Just like most of the eastern coasts in Florida, the area was first occupied by American Indians and settlers from Europe. In 1848, a lighthouse was constructed in the area and few families decide to settle within its premises. At this time, many European settlements have difficulties in defending their homes against Native American Indian attacks. As the area became known to have less Seminole Indian raids, more families decided to move and settle in present-day Cape Canaveral. In about 1890, a group of Harvard Alumni students started the Canaveral Harvard Club a hunter’s gun club. Their presence in the town made it possible for even more settlers to move and choose this area as their permanent residence.
In 1958, as the United States rapid developed the space program, many moved to Cape Canaveral in order to become part of the workforce and economy. The city of Cape Canaveral was started in 1961 upon the formation of a committee for its incorporation. Today, the city is one of the most visited in Florida.
Attractions In Cape Canaveral
• Cape Canaveral Lighthouse – The lighthouse was established in 1848 to warn ships of dangerous shoals that are present in this part of the coast. Presently, the lighthouse is located within the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The lighthouse that you can see today is 151 foot tall and was built in 1868. To visit and see the lighthouse, you must book with the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation.
• Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex – This place is a popular tourist attraction that offers various activities like museums, film viewing, a rocket garden, tours to former shuttle preparations and launch facilities.
• Air Force Space and Missile Museum – This is a three-hour tour that includes several stops within the museum, as well as, other important areas like launch complexes and the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse.
• Air Force Space and Missile History Center – This center is an extension of the Air Force Space and Missile Museum that is located just outside the Air Force Complex.
• Hop on a Cape Cruise – There are several cruises that are available from Port Canaveral most of them famous for their casino facilities.
• Charter a Boat – You can also charter a boat to experience sports fishing. Several shops offer boat and gear rentals, as well as, lessons on you can achieve this water adventure.
• Jetty Park – This area offers a nice beach with clean amenities if you are up for an enjoyable day in the water. It offers playgrounds, picnic areas, and an amazing view of rocket launches.
• Manatee Sanctuary Tours – Try to spot these elusive animals as you visit the sanctuary. You also have the option to relax at the beach, enjoy a nice walk in the park, or simply have a picnic with your family or friends.
How To Get There
Cape Canaveral is served by Melbourne International Airport. If you are driving to Florida, Cape Canaveral is located at the eastern end of the State Route 528 from the city of Orlando. Drive on I-95 and exit on FL-528 towards Cape Canaveral.