Every year thousands Read more [...]
Place Category: Beach Towns
Located just south of the historic little town of Mayport is the Atlantic Beach. This small beach city is part of the 22-mile long shore known collectively as Jacksonville Beaches. Just like most towns in the area, Atlantic Beach operates its own municipal government, however people residing here votes in the Jacksonville local elections. In addition, they also have their own representation in the Jacksonville city council.
The history of the city started as it became a resort city early on. In the early 1900s, Henry Flagler built the Continental Hotel, a huge property along the railroad line of Mayport and the present Jacksonville Beach. Today, thousands of tourist visit the area to enjoy some sun, sand, and waves. Atlantic Beach offers numerous attractions from parks to water sports, there is no shortage of fun discoveries in this quaint and historic town. It is a magnet for water lovers, surfers, and those who are looking for a relaxing time.
Attractions in Atlantic Beach
• Dutton Island Preserve – located along the Intracoastal waterway, the Dutton Island Preserve is the largest park in the city of Atlantic Beach. It features a great eco-adventure experience with more than 9,000 feet of trail. You can enjoy fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and other water sports. There are also available pavilions for picnics and numerous camping areas along the nature trails. There are primitive campsites so if you are looking for a real camping experience, this is the best place to be.
• River Branch Preserve – for another primitive and nature experience, you can kayak along specific trails along the River Branch Preserve. During high tide, the waterways in this area is best for ecotourism experience.
• Jack Russell Park – One of the most popular parks in the city, you can enjoy picnics and numerous sporting activities here. There are courts for volleyball, tennis, and racquetball, as well as, ballfields and soccer fields.
• Go Diving – Jacksonville Beaches have some of the best diving spots in the Florida coast. There are numerous scuba diving shops along where you can rent gear or get lessons from.
• Try Spearfishing – There are numerous fishing boats that offers chartered trips to catch some of the best fishes in the world. You can also try spearfishing and other forms of sports fishing.
• Water Sports – You should not miss out on water sports activities including surfing, kitesurfing, paddle boarding, and many more. You will find numerous surfing stores offering lessons or equipment rentals.
• Join an Artwalk – Join scheduled artworks where you will be able some of the best local artists featuring works that pays homage to their love for the beach.
• Golfing – Relax and enjoy a game of golf at the Selva Marina Country Club. The coastal breeze will keep you cool while you take on a challenging course.
How To Get There
Atlantic Beach is very near the city of Jacksonville, Florida. Travel time by car will take approximate 20 – 30 minutes. Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) receives hundreds of daily flight from most major airports in the United States.
For travelers who are driving into Florida, once you reach downtown Jacksonville, take FL-115 and Atlantic Boulevard which will lead you directly to the beach area. Alternatively, you can also take Beach Boulevard and turn left on Hodges Blvd, and lastly turn right on Atlantic Blvd.